Online reptile stores offer new and experienced pet owners alike the opportunity to purchase a wide variety of reptiles from the comfort of your home. But how can you know that these reptile sites are reputable and safe?
That’s where we come in. We’ve done the research for you and compiled a list of the top online reptile stores, ranked by reliability, selection, and friendly service. So whether you’re a reptile novice or a seasoned pro, we’ve got you covered.
Below are what we consider to be the best stores for buying reptiles online in 2023:
- Best Overall – XYZReptiles
- Best Selection of Pets – Josh’s Frogs
- Best Custom PVC Reptile Enclosures – Custom Reptile Habitats
- Best for Reptile Equipment – Reptizoo
Below is a comparison of the top online reptile stores as well as additional information about what we consider to be the best.
Best Online Reptile Stores
Custom Reptile Habitats
Best Overall Place to Buy Reptiles Online: XYZReptiles
Best Store for Buying Reptile Enclosures: Custom Reptile Habitats
Best Selection of Pets: Josh’s Frogs
Best for Reptile Equipment: Reptizoo
Best for Buying Geckos Online: Pangea Reptile
Best for Buying Live Feeders: Petco
How We Evaluate Online Reptile Stores
When we evaluate the reputation of an online reptile store, we take a few factors very seriously. After all, you need to trust that a reptile supplier has trained staff who take care of their reptiles to the best ability and have clear standards for shipping.
Here are the big five factors we look at when reviewing the places to buy reptiles online:
Shipping – A good online reptile store should have clear information about their shipping practices, including details about the types of couriers they use, the insulation and packaging for each reptile, and the timeframes when you expect your reptile to arrive.
Reptile Care – Without seeing your new reptile, it can be hard to determine if they’re healthy. That’s why it’s critical that an online reptile store has a high standard for reptile safety and health. The best reptile suppliers have experienced staff who have the knowledge required to properly care for their animals.
Pricing – Obviously, pricing is important. You don’t want to overpay for a reptile, but underpaying is much more dangerous, because it indicates that a reptile store probably doesn’t take the best care of their reptiles. The key is to find a site with reasonable pricing and high-quality reviews.
Reptile Variety – The variety of reptiles and amphibians a store sells isn’t a massively important factor. But a site that has a clear specialty—leopard geckos, for instance—has a bit more authority than a store with every kind of reptile under the sun.
Live Arrival Guarantee – The live arrival guarantee is one of the gold-standard metrics for how we evaluate online reptile stores. A live arrival policy details the procedure for receiving your reptiles, but also makes the reptile store accountable for the condition of your new pet. To learn more about our ranking criteria, check out our How We Rank Reptile Stores guide:
What Supplies Are Needed for Owning A Pet Reptile?
Caring for a reptile or amphibian requires specific equipment and supplies. While some are more essential than others, they all play a huge role in the overall happiness and health of your pet. In general, here is what you should need when owning a pet reptile or amphibian:
- Tank decorations
- Heat lamps
- Cleaning Supplies
Perhaps the most important thing about owning a pet reptile is ensuring they have enough living space to accommodate their needs. The size of the enclosure you will need depends on the type of pet you have. Our guide can help you find the right tank size.
Tank & Substrate
The first and most important item needed is a suitable terrarium or tank for your pet. The size and type of terrarium will depend on the species of reptile or amphibian you have, but it should provide enough space for the animal to move around, climb, and hide. A suitable substrate, such as coconut coir, sphagnum moss, or reptile sand, will also be necessary to create a comfortable environment for your pet.
Reptile & Amphibian Food
Proper nutrition is essential for the health of your pet, so you will need to provide a suitable diet. Different species require different types of food, so it’s important to research the specific dietary needs of your pet. Many reptiles and amphibians are carnivores, and may require live insects or small rodents. Others may require a combination of fruits and vegetables. Make sure to choose high-quality food that provides all the necessary nutrients for your pet.
Decorating the terrarium can provide mental stimulation and a sense of security for your pet. Tank decorations such as hiding places, climbing branches, and rocks can create a more natural environment for your pet. Some reptiles and amphibians may even require specific items, such as waterfalls or basking areas. Be sure to choose decorations that are safe for your pet and easy to clean.
Temperature & Humidity Tools
Maintaining proper temperature and humidity levels is crucial for the health and well-being of your pet. A thermometer will be needed to monitor the temperature inside the tank, and a heat lamp or under-tank heater may be necessary to provide the appropriate heat. Depending on the species, a humidifier or misting system may be necessary to maintain the proper humidity level.
In addition to these supplies, you will also need to purchase cleaning supplies such as disinfectants and odor eliminators to keep the tank clean and healthy for your pet. It is also essential to have a good quality water source, either through tap water or filtered water, and a water dish for your pet to drink from.
Tips for How To Buy Reptiles Online
If you’re new to the buying reptiles online scene, here are a few helpful tips to guide you through the process.
- Do your research before you buy! There’s a lot to learn about reptiles, so make sure you know how much time and care you have to dedicate to a pet lizard before you make a purchase.
- Set up your terrarium before you buy a reptile online. This is kind of a no-brainer, but giving yourself a few days to set up a terrarium and monitor the temp and humidity is key. Make sure your terrarium is move-in ready before you buy a reptile.
- Make sure you schedule your shipment for a day you will be at home. You have to sign for your live reptile package, and the longer the reptile is left in the shipping container, the less happy–and healthy–it will be.
- Come prepared with questions about the reptile you intend to buy. You should reach out to customer support before you commit to purchasing a lizard. Some reptiles have specific care requirements you might not have been aware of, so the supplier will be able to help you get ready for your new pet.
Tips for Owning Your First Pet Reptile
If you are new to owning a pet reptile or amphibian, there are several tips that can help you provide the best possible care for your pet. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Research the specific needs of your pet. Different species of reptiles and amphibians have different requirements for food, temperature, humidity, and tank setup.
- Choose the right size and type of tank or terrarium. Make sure that the tank is large enough for your pet to move around, climb, and hide comfortably.
- Provide the right substrate. Choose a substrate that is safe and comfortable for your pet and provides the right level of moisture.
- Create a suitable environment. Decorate the tank with hiding places, climbing branches, and other items that provide mental stimulation and a sense of security.
- Monitor temperature and humidity levels. Use a thermometer and humidifier to ensure that the tank provides the right temperature and humidity levels for your pet.
- Provide proper nutrition. Research the specific dietary needs of your pet and choose high-quality food that provides all the necessary nutrients.
- Keep the tank clean. Regularly clean the tank and replace the substrate as needed to ensure a healthy environment for your pet.
- Handle your pet with care. Some reptiles and amphibians can be easily stressed or injured if handled improperly. Learn how to handle your pet safely and carefully.
- Watch for signs of illness or injury. Regularly monitor your pet for any signs of illness or injury and seek veterinary care if needed.
- Be patient and observant. Reptiles and amphibians have unique personalities and may take some time to adjust to their new environment. Be patient and take time to observe your pet to learn more about their behaviors and needs.
By following these tips, you can provide the best possible care for your pet reptile or amphibian and ensure a long and happy life together.
Popular Pet Reptiles & Amphibians
Buying Reptiles Online FAQ
Is it safe to buy reptiles online?
Yes, it can be safe to buy reptiles online if you purchase from a reputable seller with good customer reviews. Look for sellers who offer live arrival guarantees and who have a track record of shipping reptiles safely.
What should I look for in a reputable online reptile seller?
A reputable online reptile seller should offer a live arrival guarantee, have good customer reviews, and provide clear and accurate information about the health and care of the animals they sell. They should also be responsive to customer inquiries and provide prompt shipping and delivery.
How do I choose the right reptile for me?
Research the specific needs of different reptile species and consider your lifestyle and living situation. Some species require more space, time, and care than others, so make sure to choose a species that you can provide with the necessary care and attention.
Can I return a reptile if I change my mind?
It depends on the seller’s return policy. Some sellers may allow returns within a certain timeframe, while others may not offer returns at all. Make sure to read the seller’s return policy carefully before making a purchase.
Is it legal to buy reptiles online?
The legality of buying reptiles online depends on the laws of your state or country. Some states or countries may have restrictions on buying or owning certain species of reptiles. Make sure to research the laws in your area before making a purchase.
How do I know if the reptile I received is healthy?
Look for signs of good health, such as clear eyes, alert behavior, and a healthy appetite. However, it’s always a good idea to have a new reptile checked by a veterinarian who specializes in reptile care to ensure that they are healthy and free from any underlying health conditions.