When it comes to certain creatures on this earth, there are many that pose a bigger danger to humans than others. Many snakes, scorpions, spiders and other animals pack enough venom to deliver a killing blow to a full grown adult.
But does this list include ball pythons? And what exactly is the difference between something that is venomous and something that is considered poisonous? We answer these questions and more in this post.
So, Are Ball Pythons Venomous?
No, ball pythons are not venomous. In fact, they rarely even bite. When they do, the force of the bite is limited by their weak jaw strength, meaning it’s not very painful for the person experiencing it. If you happen to get bit by your ball python snake, there’s no need to worry. Simply clean the bite, ice it, and try to determine what made the snake bite in the first place.
Are Ball Pythons Poisonous?
Ball pythons are not poisonous. Like all pythons, they are non-venomous constrictor snakes, which means that they use their powerful muscles to squeeze their prey until it suffocates. Ball pythons are not capable of injecting venom into their prey or predators.
As we mentioned above, ball pythons are generally harmless to humans, but they do have sharp teeth and can bite if they feel threatened or provoked. Bites from ball pythons are usually not serious and may only cause mild pain and bleeding. It is important to handle these snakes carefully and to respect their space to avoid any unnecessary bites.
What Is the Difference Between “Poisonous” and “Venomous?”
The terms “poisonous” and “venomous” are often used interchangeably, but they actually refer to two different things. Something is considered poisonous if it is harmful when ingested or touched. Poisonous substances can be found in plants, animals, and chemicals.
For example, some mushrooms are poisonous if ingested, while certain plants can cause skin irritation if touched. Poisonous substances usually need to be ingested, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin to cause harm.
On the other hand, something is considered venomous if it can cause harm when injected into another organism. Venomous creatures typically have specialized glands that produce and deliver venom through fangs, stingers, spines, or other specialized structures. Venomous animals include snakes, spiders, scorpions, bees, and wasps.
The venom of these creatures is designed to immobilize or kill prey, defend against predators, or compete with other members of their species. Unlike poisonous substances, venomous creatures need to physically inject their venom into another organism to cause harm.
Why Ball Pythons Make Great Pets
Aside from being non-venomous, there are many reasons why ball pythons make great pets for people of all experience levels. Below are some of the many reasons that you should consider buying a ball python:
- Ball pythons are relatively small and easy to handle, making them a great option for those who are new to snake ownership.
- They have a docile temperament and are generally quite calm and relaxed, which makes them a good choice for families with children.
- Ball pythons are low-maintenance pets that require little attention compared to other pets such as dogs or cats.
- They are also fairly low-cost pets, as they do not require a lot of equipment or supplies.
- Ball pythons are good eaters and are not picky about their food, which makes feeding them easy and straightforward.
- They have a long lifespan, with some living up to 30 years in captivity, making them a long-term companion.
- Ball pythons come in a variety of colors and patterns, making them visually appealing pets.
- They are relatively quiet pets and do not make a lot of noise, which can be beneficial for those living in apartments or close quarters.
Get Your Ball Python At XYZReptiles
If you’re looking for the best place to buy a ball python online, then we’d highly recommend shopping at XYZReptiles. They feature a huge selection of ball python morphs, and feature some of the best prices in the market. If you’d like more info on XYZReptiles, then be sure to check out our comprehensive review of them.